Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

As those of you who have been reading for a while know, E had two deployments, one to Iraq and one to Afghanistan, while serving on Active Duty in the military. On a day like today, I am reminded of how lucky I am to have him home with me, and I think of those who didn't come back.


Memorial Day often feels like any other federal holiday, a day for family, friends and relaxation, but I believe it is important to also take a moment to reflect on the reason for this day.

The following video, of country artist Trace Adkins performing "Til the Last Shot's Fired" with the West Point Glee Club, seems a fitting song for a day of remembrance. For those of you who aren't fans of country music, surely this song will sum up your feelings and impressions about the genre, but, I dare you to listen through to around minute mark 3:35 when the Glee Club joins in the song and see if there isn't at least the slightest pull on your heartstrings.

And, as you listen, like the soldier who introduces the performance says, remember, "It's not about the war, it's about the warrior."



Performances of this version of the song are available on iTunes. Net proceeds benefit the Wounded Warrior Project.

Wishing you all a peaceful Memorial Day shared with the ones you loved.

7 comments:

Treacy said...

Powerful. Thank you for posting this beautiful tribute to our American Warriors, past and present. Because of their sacrifice, I was allowed to grow up in a country where I was able to say and support anything I cared to... Become whomever I chose to become... And I am proud to be a citizen of the land of the free, and the home of the brave.

Please give that West Point boy of yours, a huge thank you hug and kiss from me...on a somber and grateful day of memories.

cassandra said...

my boyfriend was in iraq for a year. before we were together we were good friends and i can't tell you how many more friends we've had over there too. it was an especially meaningful day for me this year, having him back home... and remembering those who weren't so lucky. sending you big squeezes, and thank you for this mindful post! hope all is well m'dear :)

Alicia said...

Thank you to E for his dedication & courage. I hope he's settling well back into civilian life.
Blessings to you both.

Molly said...

this is a beautiful post. thank you.

abigail said...

I am so glad E is home with you, and so grateful for his service.
It's so important to remember what Memorial Day is really about. thank you for this post.

Unknown said...

Thank you for this. My dad was a West Pointer and I was thinking a lot about him this weekend and the men he served with who are all still devoted friends 50 years later.

Courtney said...

I'm thankful for both you AND E's sacrifices. Give him a big hug from us and tell him we're all so lucky to have people like him keeping us safe. I've never loved America more than I do now living in another country.