Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Black & Gold: Fashion

Before E's first deployment, as we began our transition from years of being "just friends" to being a couple, we only had a brief period together to sustain us through a year of separation. During that time, a lot of things felt exceptionally important. Talking. Sharing old memories. Creating new ones. Being side by side.


Annika Aschberg

And, for me, somehow so did making sure E was aware I was a "silver girl." I figured it couldn't hurt to offer some guidelines should he decide at some point to give me a gift of jewelry. Gold just wasn't my thing! When telling him this, I might have used the word "hate."

For our first Christmas as a couple, one spent on opposite continents, E gave me a silver bracelet. He had taken my words to heart.


James Bennett

Then, while E was still deployed, something happened. At first, I swore it was a one time thing, but slowly I realized it was more than a passing flirtation. I found myself adoring gold.

So, I added a pair of gold earrings to my jewelry collection. Soon after, a set of gold bangles found their way home with me too. In a state of utter bliss, my love affair continued.

I failed to confess my change of heart to E, but it wasn't long after he returned home that he discovered it for himself. One afternoon, I watched surprise and disbelief flash across E's face as he registered the color of metal hanging from my ears, and he exclaimed, "I thought you hated gold?!"

Perhaps hate was too strong a word.


Left and Right: Anthropologie

7 comments:

La Maison Fou said...

I too hear you there; my ring - platinum, all jewelry silver- and yet there too has been a fascination recently with the golden look.
Thanks for sharing,
Leslie

Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life said...

I would die for any single piece of jewelry you have displayed above!

abigail said...

I have been warming to gold too, in the past couple years.

I love those ippolita earings!

Christina said...

how amazing is that anthro dress?? i die.

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

I knew that black and gold dress was going to be from Anthro!

Tamanna A. Shaikh said...

Black and Gold is sooo ever'green'!!

xo

alissa said...

haha im with you! never liked gold until recently. although i break all of the rules by wearing my silver wedding bands on one hand and a gold band on my right hand every single day haha.

gold just has a little sparkle to it you dont find anywhere else!